1/24/11

Tutorial: Crochet Vintage Cascade Cowl

Hello all!

I have gotten some emails and requests for a little tutorial on how to make my lovely vintage-y style cowl. Again, this is a LionBrand pattern that I followed, but I'll show how to do the basic stitches.

As I said in my other post, if you can double crochet (treble for the UK ladies) then you can handle this pattern.

I'm assuming that most are at least slightly experienced in crochet, so I'm not going to do a beginning-to-end step-by-step tutorial. This is just to show the two basic stitches that make up this pattern, the double crochet (dc), and double crocheting two stitches together (dc2tog).

First things first. Whenever I use the term "yarn over hook" or YOH, this is what I'm talking about:

Wrap the yarn over the top of the hook, like so
Ok, now that you know how to YOH, lets get started with double crochet (treble in UK terms).
When starting your double crochet, YOH and insert into next stitch

YOH and pull through stitch. You now have 3 loops on your hook

Continue to pull the loop closest to the hook through the next loop. You now have two loops on the hook

YOH again, pull through both loops on hook. 
Congratulations! You've now made your first double crochet (treble)!!

This pattern calls for 2 double crochets in the same stitch, so you will just repeat the same steps, but not move on to the next hole (stitch). This is the typical way to increase with double crochet.

See? two of them, right in the same stitch!

Now for the DC2TOG, or double crocheting two together. This is the typical way to decrease with double crochet.
Since this is the first stitch in the pattern, start your row with 3 chains (again, I'm assuming you know how to make a chain. I'll post more tutorials later, but this one is specific for this pattern).
This counts as a DC

Next, YOH and insert into the next stitch


Pull through stitch. You now have 3 loops on the hook.

YOH and pull through the first 2 loops. You should have 2 loops on the hook.

YOH and insert into the next stitch. You should have 3 loops on the hook.

YOH and pull through stitch. You should now have 4 loops on the hook

YOH and pull through first 2 loops. You should have 3 loops left on the hook.

YOH and pull through the remaining 3 loops. Your finished stitch should look like this.

Here are 3 DC2TOG. Notice how there are only 3 stitches at the top.
You've turned 6 stitches into 3! YAY for decreasing!

This pattern is just a series of increasing and decreasing, creating the waves. Your beginning stitches are 3 DC2TOG, then 12 DC's (2 in each stitch for 6 stitches), then 6 DC2TOG, and repeat. Super duper easy if you are able to DC and count to 12.

6 DC2TOG (only 5 pictured cause I apparently didn't move back far enough) and 12 DC (2 in each stitch).

I hope this little tutorial helped with your Vintage Cascade Cowl adventures!

Keep an eye out for future tutorials!

~~Love~~
~~GG~~

P.S.- Something you want to see demonstrated? Is there a Stitch you can

t figure out? Shoot me an email or comment on my most recent post with your questions. I aim to please!

No comments: