7/20/10

Cleaning jewelry with toothpaste

No, you didnt read the title wrong. I said you can clean your lovelies with regular old toothpaste (and I normally use an old toothbrush as well!).

I decided the other day to (finally!) clean out and organize my jewelry box. Its huge, has lots of drawers, and frankly, was so jam packed with stuff that it wouldnt even close!

So as I was going through, I noticed that some of my lovely silver jewelry was starting to turn (i.e. oxidize or turn black). It reminded me of a trick that my mom and grandma swore by. Take regular old toothpaste (I used colgate :D) and smear it on the blackened surface, then rub vigorously! I used one of my sons old toothbrushes that we'd replaced (and for some reason was still floating around the house lol)

Here are some of my results!



Before

After*
(*Please note: There is a reson why theres only one earring in this pic. If youre going to do your scrubbing over the sink, make sure the sink is stoppered, or you have a washcloth covering the drain. Now to see if I can get my finace to take the elbow joint off underneith and get my earring back!)

Before

After
(you cant really tell in this pic, but its MUCH cleaner)

Before

After

Before
(this one was really bad)


After
(i couldnt get it all off, but i think if i tried to clean it again, i'd get the rest)


<3 And of course, my adorable little helper had to make a huge mess. <3

Personally, I dont like using smelly, toxic cleaners if I can avoid it. And other then needing to go get more toothpaste now, there are very few downsides to using this method!

What home-spun alternatives do you use around the house?

GG

No comments: